Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Thinking Serious Thoughts

So, I've been missing for a while.  Kind of accidental, kind of on purpose.  There are so many things to do during the winter holidays that I just can't keep up with everything, and if I want to stay sane, sometimes things need to be let go.  Hopefully, I'll remember this for next year and plan accordingly.  

In the meantime, though, I've been prompted back into blogging by Mrs Warde at Sceleratus Classical Academy, who has called for some reflection after being tagged for the same reflection by Imp over at Not A Stepford Life, and I suddenly wonder just how wide my bloggy-world is... It'll be interesting to find out, particularly if everyone keeps tagging the person before/after them so we can follow the trail.


It's been a fair number of days since Mrs Warde tagged me in this, but I've been using them for actually reflecting, not just stalling - no matter what Mrs Warde may tell you, nor what my reputation for procrastination might be.  And so, you get my answers both with a lot of thought into the what they are... but as usual, not much thought put into the actual expression of those ideas.  

1) What is the most surprising thing you've discovered since you've been blogging? Oh, man.  The most surprising thing?  This blogging thing is actually work.  And not a little bit of it, either.  You want to get on, and stay on a schedule, and wow. This is a tremendous amount of actual, genuine work - even when you love your subject matter.

2) What is the best advice you’ve ever been given, and who by? This one was a lot simpler. The best advice I ever heard was "Life's too short." I gave it to myself, during a particularly dark time in my life, and I've never looked back. You want it? Life's too short to regret - go for it. Feeling particularly down after someone decided to be a giant jerkstore to you?  Life's too short - kick it to the curb, do what makes you happy.  It seems self-serving to list my own advice, but honestly, it's true, and it saved my damn life, so that's what I'm putting here.

3) If you could change ONE thing about your life, what would it be, and why? You know, I've asked myself this question any number of times over the course of my life.  I always come up with the same answer.  As horrible as it is to say, I wouldn't change anything.  To change any one part of my life or my past would intrinsically change who I am and where I am, and I rather like myself and my life - even when it's rough and hard to cope around - and I'd rather not go messing around with that.

4) What’s your proudest accomplishment? Like, ever?  And what constitutes "accomplishment"? I like to think the thing I'm most proud of isn't a thing at all - my Mad Natter.  But if it's a thing we're looking for, I'd have to go between either the relationship Skeeve and I have, or our homeschool. Both very different things that I'm proud of for similar reasons - the amount of work and care that goes into each, and the balance I try to strike between them, is something I am incredibly proud of.

5) What are your future goals, and what are you doing to reach them? This... This is tricky.  I've been living in the right now for so long that I don't know really what my actual long-term goals are.  At least, not short-term-long-term.  Long term, I'd like to get either an advanced degree in gifted education - or the education that would go with such a degree... I'd like to become a midwife, I'd like to be a doula, a writer, I have so many things I want to do, and right now all I can do to reach them is keep putting one foot in front of the other.  These are things that, sadly, all cost large amounts of money, and I don't have it, so, I just keep going, and keep on keeping on, moving along until I'm in a position to make the kinds of changes I need in order to reach those long term goals.

It's time for tag-and-pass!  Hooray!  In the spirit of seeing just how far this will spread and go, I'm going to tag the lovely Becky over at My Stylish Son!  And so, Becky, you're next - answer away, at your leisure, of course.  ^_^

No comments:

Post a Comment